This year at Thom Collegiate, members of our guidance team, our aboriginal advocate and our elders are starting our very first Wellness Circle. The goal of the group is to assist youth to learn positive ways to express emotions, feelings and behaviors and to be comfortable requesting assistance if/when required. All students from Grades 9-12 are welcome. The groups will meet once a week for six weeks.
Aim for Thom Collegiate holistic wellness circle:
- Promote healthy lifestyles.
- Cover a wide variety of topics including: self-esteem, mental health, addictions, grief and suicide.
- Practice mindfulness and relaxation techniques.
- Provide culturally based programming.
- Connections to community resource professionals.
- Access to elders
- Self exploration and wellness strategies
- Creation and implementation of a communal wellness center at Thom